Aging is a natural process, but this doesn’t mean that you have to be defined by it! For many men, the change comes with an unavoidable loss of libido – but you don’t have to – if you know how to get the best from within.
While many men turn to supplements or alcohol to boost their flagging sexual drive, there’s a more natural and healthier option waiting to be discovered. That option is testosterone.
Raising testosterone levels through nutrition and natural supplements like vitamins C and D can help to combat the negative effects of aging and encourage your body to produce more of the hormone. In turn, this can help to increase your libido and sexual performance.
So how, precisely, does testosterone help to boost your libido and sexual performance? Let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of this hormone so you can decide for yourself whether or not it’s right for you.
There’s a significant amount of evidence to suggest that high levels of testosterone can help to improve your libido. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why.
- Men with relatively low testosterone levels (i.e. below 6 nmol/L) have been found to have significantly reduced sexual desire. So raising your testosterone levels can help to increase your libido.
- When men with low testosterone levels were given testosterone injections, their sexual desire was found to increase by 42%.
- Even men with higher than normal testosterone levels (i.e. above 12nmol/L) have been found to report a lower score on measures of sexual desire than men with normal levels.
- In some cases, men with high levels of testosterone have been found to report a higher level of sexual desire than men with normal levels. So it appears that there is a direct link between your testosterone levels and your desire for sex.
- With age, levels of testosterone begin to drop significantly. So if you’re already aware that you are aging, then you know that your testosterone levels will be on their way down. However, this does not mean that you have to accept your sexuality in a negative way. There are still several positives that you can draw from this.
- Men with low testosterone levels have been found to be significantly more dissatisfied with their bodies than men with higher levels. Therefore, if you’re concerned with your weight, then you could consider boosting your testosterone levels as a way to help motivate you to workout and eat healthier foods.
While there are several clear advantages to increasing your testosterone levels, there are also some significant setbacks. Let’s take a quick look at some of the major con s.
- As we’ve learned, testosterone can play a crucial role in many bodily processes. So too much of it and you could end up with some very serious problems. For instance, men with high testosterone levels have been found to be at a significantly greater risk of heart disease. So while an increase in your testosterone levels may help to improve your libido and sexual performance, it could also put your health at risk.
- When testosterone is administered in large doses, it can cause hair loss and acne. So if you’re already struggling with these symptoms, then you should probably avoid boosting your testosterone levels.
- Many men with hypogonadism, an age-related condition in which the body does not produce enough testosterone, also report low libido. So if you’re fortunate enough to still be able to produce normal levels of testosterone, then it would be advisable to keep them that way!
- As we’ve established, aging is a natural process, and this can mean that your testosterone levels will begin to decline. So if you’re planning on increasing your chances of fatherhood, then you may want to consider trying to prevent this from happening by avoiding certain behaviors that could lower your sperm count.
- In some cases, women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) – a hormonal imbalance that can lead to higher than normal testosterone levels – have been found to report improvements in their libido, energy, and mood after following a vegan diet. So if you’re already taking care of your health and would like to see an improvement in your libido, then you could give going vegan a try.
- Some men with low self-esteem have reported improvements in their mood and self-confidence after participating in testosterone therapy trials. So if you’re looking to boost your self-esteem, then you might want to consider giving testosterone a try. But you must remember: this is a very serious treatment and you should only undergo it under the guidance of a trained professional. It’s not something you want to engage in on your own without proper medical supervision.
From what you’ve read so far, you may be wondering if there’s a right time to start boosting your testosterone levels. While there’s no exact science to finding the right time, a good rule of thumb would be to start small and work your way up. For instance, you could try taking 1-2 grams of L-Ascorbic Acid (or Ascorbyl Phosphate) every day for a week and then gradually increase your dosage to 4-6 grams per day. The key is to find what works best for you and your body.
In the end, there are many benefits to increasing your testosterone levels. If you’re looking for a way to improve your libido and sexual performance, then you could try boosting your testosterone levels as a way to combat the effects of aging. But be sure to consult with a trained professional first, so that you don’t end up with any unwanted side effects.