Most people think that seaweed is just made up of the bits that float in the water near the shore. While that may be true, seaweed is actually a vast and varied group of plants that live in the sea and on the coasts. There are a few species of seaweed that are actually considered to be superfoods because of their high nutritional content. One of these superfoods is known as kelp (often confused as seaweed). In this article, we will discuss some of the amazing benefits of kelp and how you can incorporate it into your diet to help you lose weight.
Kelp For Better Health
Kelp is a type of seaweed that is often referred to as the “power house of the sea”. It’s in-built nutrients provide the human body with essential nutrients that are vital for good health. People who eat a lot of kelp usually notice that they have fewer ailments and are healthier than people who do not consume large quantities of kelp. Since ancient times, people have used kelp to treat a variety of illnesses and health problems. Here are just a few examples of how eating kelp can benefit your health.
- Cholesterola (A Low-Fat Alternative) : Cholesterola is a type of cholesterol that is often found in large amounts in animal fats like meat and full-fat dairy products. Though there are some vegan alternatives to treat this ailment, people with high cholesterol should try and avoid animal proteins as much as possible. Eating kelp will help lower your cholesterol levels because it is a great source of vegan fats.
- Antioxidants (A Healthy Alternative) : Antioxidants are substances that act as scavengers for free radicals in the body. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage our bodies’ cells. The good news is that antioxidants can counteract the effects of these unstable molecules and protect our cells. Though there are many different types of antioxidants, one of the best sources of vegan antioxidants is kelp.
- Iron (An Essential Ingredient): Our bodies do not produce iron on their own, it has to be obtained from food sources like red meat, fish, and nuts. The best source of iron is probably green vegetables, but unfortunately they do not contain enough to meet the needs of the body. If you are anemic or have chronic inflammation, then you should try and eat more of these foods and avoid the ones mentioned above that contain iron. Eating kelp will also help to improve your body’s iron levels because of its high vitamin C content.
- Selenium (A Great Source of Antioxidants): Like iron, selenium is an essential nutrient for the body. It helps to protect the human body’s cells from free radicals damage, so it is a great nutrient for people with autoimmune diseases like diabetes, arthritis, and lupus.
- Zinc (A Great Source of Antioxidants): Though it is not as abundant as the other nutrients mentioned above, zinc is another excellent nutrient for the human body. It is necessary for a healthy immune system and strong bones.
Kelp For Losing Weight
Though most people think of seaweed when it comes to gaining weight, not many know that it is actually one of the best sources of nutrition for weight loss. There are several different types of seaweed, and many of them have been found to be highly effective at promoting weight loss. Here are some of the best examples:
- Sea Buckthorn (An Alkaline-Rich Food): Sea buckthorn is a type of seaweed that grows in cold waters. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and vitamin E. These antioxidants will protect your body’s tissue from damage, and vitamins C and E can decrease the body’s reaction to food, so it may help to improve the efficiency of your metabolisms. Eating sea buckthorn can also help with depression because of its high content of vitamin B.
- Arctic Char (A Rich Source Of Protein): Though it is a little harder to find, arctic char is another type of seaweed that is highly nutritious and packed with protein. It is very high in protein and low in carbohydrates, so it is a great food for people with diabetes or hypoglycemia. One of the main components of arctic char is selenium, which is an antioxidant that protects the human body from damage.
- Kombu (A Great Source Of Vitamin C): Vitamin C is an ingredient that is commonly added to smoothies, juices, and other types of food products because of its positive effect on the human immune system. Though there are many different types of vitamin C, kombu is one of the best natural sources of this essential nutrient. Vitamin C will directly boost our bodies’ immune systems so it is always a great choice for those who are suffering from some type of immune deficiency or illness. Eating kombu can also help prevent cancer because of its high content of vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Astragalus (An Herb That Promotes Metabolism): Astragalus is an herb that is often used in Chinese medicine and traditional medicine to promote metabolism. It has been shown in studies to increase the bodies’ energy levels and eliminate toxins. Some people have even been known to eat astragalus when they are trying to lose weight.
- Red Seaweed (A Great Source Of Vitamins And Minerals): Though it is not really a type of seaweed, this ingredient can be used in cooking because of its color and its wonderful taste. It is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and polyphenols. Red seaweed is one of the most nutritious types of seaweed because it is high in vitamins C and E, which act as natural antioxidants in our bodies. It is also high in antioxidants that protect your body’s cells from damage. This makes it a great food choice for people who are trying to stay healthy.
As you can see, there are many different types of seaweed that can help you to lose weight. In addition to the foods listed above, there are also several different supplements that are derived from seaweed. These types of supplements are often added to creams, lotions, and other types of skin care products that are designed to lose body fat. Just remember to consult your doctor before taking any supplements or eating any foods, especially if you are trying to lose weight.