We’ve all been there. Maybe you’re at a party and the food is abundant. Or, perhaps, you’re at a restaurant and the portions are just right. You feel a little guilty about eating what you want, so you order a dessert. Suddenly, your food arrives, and it’s something you’ve never tried before. You don’t know how to react.
You’re in a restaurant and the food is presented buffet-style. There are a variety of foods, all perfectly portioned and looking fabulous. You don’t know what to pick, so you grab a cup of coffee and a croissant. You walk back to your desk, completely satiated, and feeling great. You’ve just implemented an exercise regime, and you feel like you’ve definitely lost weight because of it.
Here’s the thing. Putting on a bit of weight as a result of occasional indulgence is completely normal and even desirable. Most of us need to put on a little weight to feel better and perform better at work. Despite this, when you get into a rut, you can lose a lot of weight very quickly, and it’s not always easy to get back in shape.
The Most Dangerous Disease
Take heart, we’re not saying you need to stop exercising. We’re quite the opposite. What we want is for you to listen to our advice and understand why you need to modify your routine.
One of the biggest dangers in losing weight is getting too lax with your exercise regime. When you start to lose weight quickly, you’ll feel great, and that’s the main reason you want to keep exercising. It’s easy to become disheartened when you start losing weight, especially if you’ve been working hard to achieve your perfect figure. But, if you feel that you’re not challenging your body enough, you could be putting your health in jeopardy.
Take, for example, the case of a 42-year-old woman named Jennifer. She started noticing her weight loss, and became concerned about her health. She started researching diets and came across the Paleo diet. She decided to give it a try and lost 10 pounds within a week. Before she knew it, she was back to her old habits, and the weight was creeping back on. Then, another health issue came up that made her realize the importance of remaining active.
After she recovered from the surgery, we asked her if she was still following the Paleo diet. She was finding it a lot easier to stick to now that she didn’t have to struggle with the urge to eat everything in sight. But, even then, there were times when she’d go for a pizza or a doughnut, which she now recognized as a mistake. Now, she makes sure to have snacks – such as raw vegetables or fruit – available at all times, so that she doesn’t give in to her cravings.
How to Stay Active While Losing Weight
It’s hard to lose weight and stay active at the same time. Most people who try to do so fail and end up gaining the weight back along with some extra pounds. Here are a few ways you can make sure you stay active while losing weight:
- Try something new. Every day, you wake up and decide what you want to do. If you’ve never tried surfing, why not give it a go? There’ll be plenty of people around you if you get stuck in the water, but there’ll also be plenty of people on the beach, ready to help if you crash.
- Exercise, but don’t overdo it. You’ll probably have heard of the adage ‘less is more’. While this may be true when it comes to exercise, it doesn’t apply when it comes to dieting. Start by exercising three times a week for 30 minutes a session. If you really want to lose weight and stay fit, do some research and find an exercise regime that suits your needs. Talk to your doctor about what exercises would be safe for you to do.
- Eat what you need. When you start losing weight, your body will go through changes. Your blood pressure will go down, your cholesterol will be at its lowest ebb, and you’ll have more energy. All of these are wonderful things. But, if you want to keep the weight off, you need to make sure you’re eating a well-balanced diet. There are plenty of calories in some foods that will help you stay slim, so make sure you’re including these in your diet. If you’re not sure what type of food is good for you, speak to your doctor. The best thing you can do for your health is eat everything healthily.
- Lift with your eyes closed. Have you ever tried to do a workout without watching what you’re doing? That’s quite hard, right? Why not try working out with music? Studies have shown that using music while exercising can increase your workout intensity and make it more enjoyable. So, put on some upbeat music, close your eyes, and get your workout in.
- Take breaks when you need them. It’s easy for your body to become accustomed to going for long periods of time without food. So, when you start eating regularly, it’s easy for your body to go through a process of readjustment. Sometimes this can lead to you eating more than you need. This, in turn, can result in extra pounds, binge eating, and a lot of frustration. Take regular breaks during your workout sessions, or eat a snack if you’re feeling especially exhausted. You’ll be doing your body a favor. Regular breaks will help your body function at its optimum level and make it easier for you to lose weight.
- Get some inspiration. If you want to lose weight and stay fit, why not look to people who’ve already accomplished this? There are plenty of ways you can do this. Visit fatblogs.org for inspiration and motivation. You’ll find blogs written by people whose life aim is to inspire and motivate others to lose weight and stay fit. Reading these blogs can help you stay motivated and on track.
- Make a list of all the things you enjoy doing. If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you’ll know that it’s a difficult task. When you get into a routine, it’s easy for things to become monotonous. Make a list of all the things you enjoy doing, whether it’s travelling or spending time with your family. These are the things you’ll want to keep doing, so that you don’t end up going back to how you were before you started trying to change your lifestyle.
- Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Just because a lot of people are doing it, doesn’t mean you have to. Find a workout routine that suits you and stick with it. If you really want to lose weight and stay fit, it’s important to find something that works for your body, and makes you feel good. If you want to join a club and meet people who are also trying to lose weight, then by all means do so. But, at the end of the day, you’re going to have to take responsibility for your own health and well-being.
Hopefully, this article has helped you understand why you’re losing weight and how you can stay fit while losing weight. If you’re serious about losing weight and want to make sure you stay on track, be sure to consult your doctor or a nutritionist about a diet that will suit you. And, remember, less is more when it comes to exercising. You don’t want to overdo it and end up injuring yourself. So, take it easy the first few weeks, build up your strength, and soon you’ll be reaping the benefits of a healthier lifestyle.