Mike Golic is a well-known and respected sportscaster for the Chicago Bears. One popular saying about him goes: “You’ll never guess what Mike Golic thinks about. It’s funny…” Well, you might be tempted to think that it is funny, but if you have ever tried to lose weight, you might want to save that type of humor for someone else. Golic is one of the most recognizable faces in the Chicago sports community and is always a force to be reckoned with when it comes to getting his point across.
How did Golic lose weight? Let’s take a look.
Cut Back On The Beer And Burgers
As previously mentioned, Golic is a well-known sportscaster for the Chicago Bears. He’s been covering the team since the 1960s and is usually seen around the locker room interviewing players after games. A lot of people in the Bears organization know and trust Golic, so if anyone knows the secret to losing weight, it’s probably Golic himself.
During one of his media interviews in January 2021, Golic revealed the best way he’s lost weight. When asked about his diet and exercise routine, he said:
- “I just cut back on the beer and the burgers. That’s it. I’ll have an occasional drink but I don’t eat a big breakfast or dinner. Just the standard American diet — a lot of potatoes, corn, and chicken.”
- “I’ve cut out sodas and juices. I drink plenty of water, though. It’s the best diet for losing weight.”
- “Then again, I’ve always been a bit of a lazy bastard.”
Follow The Paleo Diet
One of the most recognizable faces in the Chicago sports community is also one of the most well-known paleo dieticians in North America. Back in October 2019, Golic revealed that he follows a Paleo diet and is always looking for new and innovative ways to follow the lifestyle. He said:
- “Paleo is a diet based on cavemen and women. They didn’t have all the fancy machines we have today. They ate lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, and fruits.”
- “I try to eat lots of vegetables and fruits to maintain my health. The key is to eat lots of them.”
- “Then again, I think a lot of it comes down to how excited you are about food.”
- “I’ve always been a bit of a control freak, so the idea of giving up control and going on a diet was definitely a difficult adjustment.”
Reevaluate How You Feel About Food
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you’ll know that going on a diet is never easier said than done. It’s all about changing your mindset and learning to see food in a different light. Golic is currently in a good place in terms of how he feels about food, so he’s able to make the necessary changes to support his weight loss and still be able to enjoy his meals.
He explained during another media interview that he cut back on the amount of times he eats out and instead focused on cooking at home, which helped him change his perspective on food. He said:
- “If you love a restaurant, have them cook you something at home. Or, if you’re a chef, offer your services to someone who wants to try out a new place.”
- “Then again, maybe it’s just my generation. We grew up watching Masterchef and seeing all the wonderful food.”
- “I used to go out with dinner buddies a lot. But since I’ve been trying to eat healthier, we’ve eaten a lot of meals at home.”
- “I think part of it is how you feel about food. If you feel empty and unsatisfied when you eat, it doesn’t do any good.”
Take More Breaks
Even when you’re not on a diet, taking a break every now and again is a good idea. Sometimes, you need a little boost, so taking a walk, going to the gym, or heading to the beach can help. This breaks down the monotony of sitting and eating, which often leads to overeating. It also allows you to reevaluate whether or not you actually need the food you’re consuming. For Golic, this means he occasionally goes for a run, cycles to the gym, or takes a walk during his workday.
Some people prefer to eat when their bodies are telling them they’re hungry, while others eat when their bodies are asking for food. It’s a common struggle for most people, so taking a step back and reevaluating how you feel when you eat can help point you in the right direction.
Golic has lost a lot of weight, and it’s not just his face that’s changed. He’s opened up about his struggles with eating and has shared some very interesting insights on how to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. While it may not be funny anymore when you consider how many people he’s helping, it’s always been funny when you think about it. And that’s a good thing. We need more people like Michael Golic, willing to share their knowledge and help others along the way.