Debra Monk is a famous American nutritionist and TV host who has inspired many people with her weight loss tactics. Within a few months of launching her weight loss blog, Slimming World, she went from a size 16 to a size 6. We were lucky enough to catch up with her in London to get her advice on how to achieve weight loss and what products she uses.
The Blogger’s Take
Monk’s story is a reflection of many people’s frustrations with diets in general and weight loss in particular. With the current obesity epidemic, many are looking for a way to shed off those extra pounds and improve their health. Having been there ourselves, we can relate to wanting quick and easy solutions to our weight problems. But like most things in life, it’s not that simple.
When we first heard about Monk, we were intrigued. But after reading her blog post about her weight loss journey, we’re inclined to believe that not much in life is simple when it comes to health and body positivity. While other diet blogs can be extremely motivating, hers is a fresh perspective. She doesn’t tell you what to eat or how to exercise. She simply provides the facts about your body and what you need to do to achieve optimal health.
The Obesity Epidemic
The global obesity epidemic is a major factor in the current health crisis. According to the World Health Organization, more than one-third of the world’s population is now considered obese. That’s more than double the number who were obese just a few years ago. This epidemic is especially devastating for youth. The WHO reports that more than half of all children in the world are now overweight or obese. It’s a serious problem, especially since obesity can lead to many other health complications. It’s important to remember that there’s no single cause of obesity. However, the WHO cites the following factors as contributing to the epidemic:
- The increasing consumption of processed foods
- The decline in physical activity
- The growing portion sizes
- The increasing social isolation
- The greater urbanization
While there is no simple answer to this epidemic, we can be more mindful about how we eat and increase our activity. That’s an important mindset to have if you’re serious about losing weight. It may not be easy, but it’s definitely doable.
The Science Behind Slimming
It’s well-established that calories consumed are directly related to weight gain. We know that eating more calories than you expend results in weight gain. But it’s not as simple as that. There are actually several reasons why you may not be able to slim down as quickly as you want to. Here is a brief overview of the science behind losing weight:
- When you eat less, you may feel more satisfied and drive the hormone ghrelin (growth hormone secretagogue) in your stomach. This is a hormone that makes you want to eat more. A ghrelin antagonist (anti-ghrelin) can thus reduce your appetite.
- When you are exposed to cold temperatures, your body produces more calories. This makes you ideal for countries where it gets cold quite a bit, like Canada and Norway. Your body thinks it’s winter and starts producing more calories to keep you warm. This is called thermogenesis and it makes you perfect for those colder climates. So if you’re planning to travel to a place with a lot of cold, then you should try for Norwegia or Canada resident visa. You can’t become a permanent resident, but you can travel with validity.
- Exercise can also boost your metabolism and make you lose weight faster. There’s a reason why athletes are often portrayed as being thin — it’s because physical activity increases the amount of calories you burn daily. Regular exercise can also increase the levels of dopamine in your brain, which makes you feel happier. This is also connected to weight loss.
- Your gut feeling may be right. When you’re in your twenties, your body isn’t exactly at its best. Hormones raging everywhere may cause you to gain some weight even if you go on a strict diet. If you believe that a plant-based diet can help you lose weight, then you should give it a try. Your skin will thank you for it. Plants possess chemicals called phytochemicals that help protect your cells and encourage them to work harder. These chemicals are also responsible for making your skin look younger. Phytochemicals are generally considered to be safe, although there’s still some research which needs to be conducted before we can say for sure. This kind of diet can also help regulate your appetite, so when you do eat, you likely won’t gain weight.
- There are also nutritionally dense foods that can make you lose weight. Foods like lentils, beans, and chickpeas are high in fiber and protein. These foods can fill you up quickly without too much thought. You won’t be needing to eat much to feel satisfied, which can help you shed that extra weight. For best results, add some of these foods to your diet regime and see how you feel. You may not need to lose a lot of weight to feel satisfied, but you will likely have a more enjoyable experience.
- Larger studies have shown that the hormone leptin plays a role in weight loss as well. This is a hormone which is secreted by your fat cells and causes your brain to reduce its appetite. When your body is leptin-deficient, it will have an increased appetite regardless of the food you consume. Fortunately, there are now medications which can help improve leptin sensitivity. If you’re feeling particularly motivated to lose weight, then this could be a good option for you.
- Your body also creates a fat layer around the area where the laser hits the skin. This is called the laser lipolysis zone and it’s a place where fat cells are destroyed by heat. This technology can be used to remove unwanted fat and improve your overall appearance. There are now clinics which offer laser lipolysis therapy and it’s a great option for people who want to lose weight for an event or season.
As you can see, there are actually several ways you can lose weight without having to go on a starvation diet. You don’t need to be restricted to eating only fruits and vegetables if you want to shed some pounds. It can be a bit overwhelming to know where to start, so this article is going to help you figure out your own path to weight loss.