Does Stopping Drinking Help You Lose Weight?

Do you want to lose weight? You’re not alone in wanting to shed those extra pounds. According to the American Association of Advertising Agencies, over 42 million Americans were classified as overweight or obese in 2017. That’s nearly 90% of the population. 

While there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to weight loss, many people are turning to alcohol as a way to shed the pounds. Unfortunately, if you’re consuming alcohol, then you’re also likely consuming lots of calories. That’s not good at all!

You might be wondering if quitting drinking would help you lose weight. Would giving up alcohol for a week or two cause you to drop a few pounds? Would cutting back on how much you drink per day help you lose weight?

You might be thinking that you have to give up drinking completely to make a difference. However, that’s not true. There are alternatives to cutting back on how much you drink. You just need to know what they are and how to use them effectively.

The Link Between Alcohol And Weight Gain

Let’s take a look at the link between alcohol and weight gain. First of all, alcoholics drink more calories than most people. They consume a lot of booze and often opt for mixed drinks instead of wine or bottled water. This combination of high alcohol intake and low water intake can result in weight gain. 

In a 2017 study published in the journal Addiction, researchers monitored the drinking habits of 16,000 Americans for more than 10 years. They found that men who regularly drank more than five alcoholic beverages a day were 44% more likely to be obese than men who drank two to four alcoholic beverages a day. The same was true for women! Having three or more alcoholic drinks per day resulted in a 78% increase in the chance of being obese. This risk increased by 22% with each additional drink. 

The link between alcohol and weight gain is clear. Drinking in excess can result in weight gain. It doesn’t matter if you drink wine, beer, or hard liquor. The important thing is that you drink enough to get drunk at least once a week. If you drink everyday, it’ll just be a continuous cycle of weight gain.

How To Stop Drinking Without Regrets

There are alternatives to cutting back on how much you drink. If you really want to lose weight, then you need to consider what will make you healthier in the long term. One of the biggest deterrents to people following a healthier lifestyle is the fear of missing out (FOMO). With so much competition for our time and attention, people are driven by social media to get ahead and keep up with the trends. This often results in poor eating habits and lack of exercise. All of which makes them more vulnerable to chronic diseases like obesity and type 2 diabetes. 

If you want to lose weight and you’re worried about missing out on something, then consider what’s trending on social media. If you see lots of people boasting about their curves and fit physique, then you might be tempted to follow their lead. Especially if you feel like you’re missing out on some sort of groundbreaking new diet or workout routine. Instead of following what’s trendy, find what works for you and stick with it. You’ll slowly but surely begin to see the benefits. 

Alcohol is bad for you in so many ways. Not only does it cause weight gain, but it also damages your heart, liver, and pancreas. If you want to be healthy and fit, then cut back on how much of it you consume. You don’t need to stop drinking altogether, but you should at least limit how much of it you have. There are healthier alternatives when you want to drink, you just need to know where to look.